Monday, February 28, 2011

Quiche, Or, As I Describe It to JP: Savory Pie!

Did you see the Oscars last night? It was SO awkward!
And, as discussed previously, although I am interested in the winners, I don’t always watch the Oscars awards show, and now I remember why. NEVER AGAIN!

The only decent part of the whole thing.

Last night, I watched the Oscars at my friend Heather’s, but let’s just say the company was much better than the entertainment. The food was good too! Heather provided all these awesome finger foods as well as some super-yummy homemade popcorn in mini cardboard popcorn tubs; what a hostess! I had just survived a crazy week, but I did have some extra roasted asparagus and mushrooms in the fridge, so I modified this recipe to make two pans of deliciously awesome quiche, one of which I took to the party and one of which I will be eating for breakfast every day this week:
Asparagus and Bacon Quiche
Ingredients
·         1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into ½ inch pieces
·         10 slices bacon
·         2 frozen pie shells
·         1 egg white, lightly beaten
·         4 eggs        
·         1 ½ cups half-and-half
·         2 cups shredded Swiss cheese (I had Gouda in the fridge, so I used that instead; it was very goud-a. Haha.)
·         ¼ t ground nutmeg
·         salt and pepper to taste
Directions
1.       Preheat oven to 400° F.
2.       Place asparagus in a steamer over 1 in. of boiling water and cover. Cook until tender but firm, about 2 to 6 minutes. Drain and cool.
3.       Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, (wait for it to cool!) crumble, and set aside.
4.       Brush pie shells with beaten egg white. Sprinkle crumbled bacon and chopped asparagus into pie shells.
5.       In a bowl, beat together eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese over bacon and asparagus. Pour egg mixture on top.
6.       Bake uncovered in preheated oven until firm, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before serving.
One of my favorite things about quiche is, as long as you get the egg to half-and-half ratio right, you can make a number of substitutions depending on what you have on hand. For example, if you don’t have any bacon, you can’t go wrong subbing in ham, chicken, sausage, or even small pieces of steak. The same goes for cheese; as long as you have a hard cheese you’re probably good to go (RE: soft cheeses [feta, goat cheese, etc.], the amount you need may differ, so use your own best judgment). And like I said, I had some extra mushrooms, so I threw those in too. With all these substitutions, this recipe definitely makes for an easy dish that’s good enough to eat at home but still dressy enough to do you credit in public.
Do you have any good in or out go-to recipes? Also, did you watch the Oscars, and if so, were you as weirded out as me?
p.s. This article on 20 sun-based songs is really brightening up my day. My favorite is “Sunlight” by The Harlem Shakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment