Friday, June 3, 2011

The Sounds of Summer

For this week’s post, I decided to come up with a list of songs that reminded me of summer, as summer is definitely in full swing here in Atlanta. As I was compiling the list, however, my choices definitely started to give me pause. I mean, I associate summer with month-long holidays and days spent entirely outdoors, and that makes sense. I experienced summer that way for the first 20-some-odd years of my life. I definitely found it weird, though, that the songs which reminded me specifically of summer were all released between 1965 and 1971.
Dear self: You did not grow up in the mid-60s/early 70s. Don’t be weird.
Although, perhaps it makes a (shaky) case for reincarnation?
  • “In the Summertime,” Mungo Jerry
  • “Paint It Black,” The Rolling Stones
  • “I Want You Back,” The Jackson Five and “Knock Three Times” by Tony Orlando and Dawn
Probably because of this:
 
This trailer makes this look awful, but it’s great, I swear!
  • “Sister Golden Hair” by America
  • Anything by The Beach Boys. I may have never spent my summer on a California beach,    but anything from Pet Sounds makes me feel like I’m in a movie starring Annette Funicello.
 Annette accompanies The Beach Boys in the theme for The Monkey’s Uncle
Do these songs remind anyone else of summertime, or is it just me? Also, what songs say summer to you?


No comments:

Post a Comment