It’s Memorial Day weekend, and for me, that always feels like the start of summer.
I want to wear flip flops and drink outdoors.
And I’m ready to start my summer reading list. What’s that? I’m and adult and don’t have one? That’s weird…then what is this!?
My goal is to read 10 books before Labor Day. I feel this is totally do-able, particularly if (more than) half the books are just for fun.
SUMMER READING LIST 2011!!!
1. A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan, which won the 2011 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction (Boo-yah!)
2. The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls, a memoir
3. American Pastoral by Philip Roth, a novel (PR is the best.)
4. To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis, an award-winning “comic science fiction novel”
5. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, supposedly phenomenal non-fiction work
6. Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome, idyllic children’s adventure book
7. Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys, which I’ve been meaning to read for years
8. A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire Book #4
9. Forever by Maggie Stiefvater, like Twilight but well-written?
10. Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris, Sookie Stackhouse Book #11 (Seriously, stop judging me.)
So, yeah, I’ve got some trashy, fun choices on there, but they’re counteracted by the quality books, right? Right??
Do you have any summer reading goals, or is it just me? Let me know if you decide to read any of these too, and we can discuss!