Sunday, May 8, 2011

In Honor of Mother's Day...

Are you familiar with the TLC show, I Didn't Know I was Pregnant? It's just like what you would think: Ladies are going about their business when they begin having sudden, intense pain, and seek medical assistance only to find out that they are, in fact, giving birth. After seeing the show, this became a major fear of mine, and whenever I got even mild indigestion, I immediately thought, "Oh my gosh. I didn't know I was pregnant." These fears could only be assuaged by the fact that this was a highly unlikely state of affairs and almost no one actually does not know that she is pregnant. Well, that all changed this week, when I heard that one of my friends was taken to the emergency room where she delivered a baby, and SHE HAD NOT KNOWN SHE WAS PREGNANT!!!

This friend ("Ladyfriend") had moved out West with her boyfriend ("Guyfriend") but was at her parents' house for a few weeks, packing up the rest of her things. Well, she woke up in the middle of the night with the worst pain in her life, saw that there was blood, and began screaming for her parents. They raced her to the hospital where the doctor told her she was delivering a baby, to which she said, "?!?"

So then, they had to call Guyfriend to fly in from out West, and he had to purchase one of those last-minute million dollar tickets (but it's totally worth it because he's about to be a surprise dad!). He's still en route while the baby was being delivered, so his mom sent him pix messages of his surprise baby girl from the delivery room (technology!).

Now, JP had seen Ladyfriend in March, and he said not only was she as skinny as ever, but they even had margaritas together! Apparently, she was on birth control the entire time and had only gained 5 lbs. over the past few months. (That baby also weighs 5 lbs., so I guess Ladyfriend doesn't have to worry about that.)

The thing that kills me the most about this tale is (surprisingly) not that she didn't know she was pregnant (apparently it happens often enough for them to make a show about it), but that giving birth is supposed to be one of the most painful things you could ever go through in life, and she had to go through it by surprise. That would be the scariest/worst thing ever!!!

Anyway, Lady, Guy, and Babyfriend are all happy and healthy now, and soon they will be Mr., Mrs., and Baby Friend. So I guess it all worked out? 

Happy Mother's Day, Ladyfriend!

1 comment:

  1. holy omg. I'm so impressed that you actually know a didn't-know-I-was-pregnant person. how do those stealth babies do it? my own babies made me sick as dog & big as a house. And there's a show?!?! I have got to see that.

    ReplyDelete