Monday, May 16, 2011

Game of Thrones, Redux

I wanted to update you guys re: my progress in the George R.R. Martin’s Game of Thrones series I mentioned a few weeks ago because several people have asked me if I like the books/show, and the answer is yes and a qualified yes.
The book series is awesome. Not since I read the second two Hunger Games books over Labor Day weekend have I been this anxious to just read and keep on reading. Stupid work/sleep/etc. for getting in the way! I’m currently on the third book, A Storm of Swords, and it is great. One thing that concerns me, though, is that of this seven-book series, only four have been published, so I’m clearly going to make it to the end of the road before the author is able to finish writing. However, as ASOS is 1128 pages (!) and a new book is slated to come out this July, I guess I’ll be okay through the end of the summer.  I remember feeling this same way after finishing the newest installment of Harry Potter and knowing it would literally be years before the next one came out. So frustrating!
I am also enjoying the show. It is staying 95% true to the books, and I feel like they did a great job casting it. I had even cast Peter Dinklage in my mind as the perfect Tyrion Lannister, a sarcastic dwarf from a noble family; but then again, how many well-known little person actors are there?
The thing that frustrates me about the show, though, is the same thing that frustrates me when any books I like are translated into another medium. Unfortunately, not everything carries over—particularly the innumerable details and insights into the characters you get from reading. So, while the show is entertaining, and I plan to keep watching it, it will never be as quality as the books. For those of you have neither seen the show nor read the books, I’ve heard it described as “if Playboy were to put on Lord of the Rings,” which in some ways is true, but I might add: “but classier.” Does that make sense? I never know.
If you’re watching the show, what do you think? For those who are watching but haven’t read, are you confused by all the characters? As the author has said, "What can I say? It's a BIG story, and a cast of thousands."