Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Rainy Days and Mondays (on a Tuesday)

It is super rainy here today. Mornings like this make me want to crawl back under my down comforter and spend the morning reading and sipping black tea with milk…or watching Pride and Prejudice for the millionth time. Things to consider: Heavy rain makes me nerdy?
I’m currently reading two books: Sleepwalk with Me by Mike Birbiglia and A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Sleepwalk with Me is a hybrid of the personal essay (made popular by David Sedaris) and stand-up comedy. The essays are written with the comic’s sense of what sounds funny when spoken aloud, which is fine for me because when I read, my inner monologue becomes an audio book narrator anyway. The essays are all pretty funny, and I am definitely enjoying it so far.
A Game of Thrones is the first novel in a fantasy series, and while I’m not normally a fantasy aficionado, I was turned on to the series when I heard HBO had optioned the rights for a weekly drama. Though I only started the book recently, it’s definitely entertaining me. It seems to be set in a period akin to the Middle Ages in a world in which the weather has gone astray and where “summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime.” Coincidentally, my coworker is reading the third book in series, and he says that the story becomes more intriguing with each book. I’m interested to find out!
ALSO, I’m always interested to hear other people’s book recommendations as well. I’m on GoodReads.com, a social networking site for people to keep track of what they and their friends are reading. You should check it out! But if you’re not on it and have good book recommendations for me, comment on this post or shoot me an email. Inquiring minds (specifically mine) want to know!

2 comments:

  1. i'm pretty sure you are a nerd in any weather. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE "A Game of Thrones"! I tore through the entire series in about two weeks. Would love to hear more of your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete