Monday, March 21, 2011

Graphic(s) Love

I feel like the more I post to this blog, the more obvious it becomes that I am incurable nerd. Oh, well; I’m over it. I have accepted my nerdy interests for what they are. And the nerdy interest I’ll be discussing today is how I stumbled across and am now absolutely in love with this blog, The Graphics Fairy.
To begin with, I think I’ve decided to design my own Save the Date postcards to announce my wedding. A lot of the ones I’ve looked at online feature a picture of the bride and groom, which would be all well and good except that JP and I don’t have any recent, quality photos of just the two of us and no time to get any taken. Additionally, I want the card specifically to be a postcard, for both postage- and awesomeness-related reasons, and I’ve had a hard time finding a good postcard that I like. So, being somewhat crafty and typographically-inclined, I’ve convinced myself that designing these things can’t be that hard. Right? RIGHT?!?!
My idea was to have some kind of vintage-y looking image for the front (so specific, I know) and an antique postcard logo for the back. That’s where The Graphics Fairy blog comes in! I had found your typical stock image sites where a subscription starts at around $50. I also found an etsy seller where the images I needed ran about $5 apiece. But then—wonder of wonders—I came across this great blog that had everything I needed and more FOR FREE! (To be honest, I think that etsy seller is pretty familiar with this blog as well. Hmm…)
The kinds of images the site carries are very specifically vintage in appearance, so if that’s not the kind of thing you’re looking for, then steer clear. However, if you’re like me, and this stylized artwork appeals to you, definitely check it out. I feel like this look is very “on trend” these days; at least that seems to be the case for weddings, thus my current worldview may be skewed by following too many wedding blogs. Even if you’re not wedding planning, you may find something cool to do with these images. If nothing else, they’re pretty neat to look at!

No comments:

Post a Comment