Thursday, October 20, 2011

Things I Do Not Recommend

This may become a regular installment because I often find myself in situations that I do not recommend. So, to start:

1.       Drinking wine and online shopping. This is not something I do often, but after a few glasses of wine the other night, I decided that what I needed to do was start knocking things off of my to-do list. One of these items, “go through my starred email,” really could have been postponed indefinitely, but at the time it seemed like something that I Had to Take Care of Right Then. Anyway, one of the starred emails was a message from Amazon reminding me to check out their current batch of $5 albums (so important, I’m sure, self). In the past, I’ve found some great albums and usually will buy only one or two, but not this time. In the sobering light of day with my five new albums  I knew that I spent money for NO REASON on music I didn’t give a crap about, but my biggest mistake was clearly the purchase of Now That’s What I Call Music 39. I seriously bought this; JP was just amazed that this franchise is still a thing. I think I was justifying it to myself because it was only $5, and I was bound to like at least 5 of the 12 songs on there (I don’t). It is home to such hits as “Good Life” by the OneRepublic and “Who Says” by Selena Gomez. OMG! I am the (not-so) proud owner of a Selena Gomez song!! But now I keep listening to it at work even though I hate it both a) in the hopes that it will grow on me, and b) as a kind of self-torture to reinforce the message that I should never purchase something so ridiculous EVER AGAIN.  Sigh. I am lame. Please tell me I’m not the only one who has made inadvisable purchases under the influence of libations!


3 comments:

  1. I drunk shopped once and bought a needlepoint of some pills/pill bottle and some choice bits from Jesse Spano's famous I'm so excited/scared meltdown speech. Here's a picture: http://jezebel.com/5826364/jessie-spano-immortalized-forever-in-cross-stitch

    I felt like I had to hide it from John for a while and now I don't know where it is. I'll have to look for it when I go home today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drunk-bought myself a book the other week and was honestly surprised when I got a package in the mail. Also some shoes. Every time it happens, the logic goes something like, "I feel GOOD! I'm gonna treat myself."

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last time I drunkshopped I was at a pub crawl, and wound up buying a truly fugly "hair ornament" that some lady was selling. It was made of plastic beads. Never again.

    ReplyDelete